Goals and Targets
By setting goals and targets, a school will focus on achieving measurable outcomes. Without these goals and targets, there is a lack of clear direction.
Schools are encouraged to set and achieve specific and measurable environmental targets in reducing litter and waste to landfill, reducing water and energy use, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and increasing gardens areas and biodiversity.
Sustainable Schools assists schools to achieve the following measurable outcomes in the first year.
- Reduce litter in the yard and waste to landfill by 50%
- Reduce water use in the school by 15% and improve stormwater quality
- Reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions in the school by 15%
- Expand the area of gardens by 20%
- Increase biodiversity in areas of the school ground by 50%
Outcomes from this key element
Create a broad plan for the future
- Prioritise order for each theme
- Create a four year plan that identifies broad goals and targets for each theme (goals are broad statements, targets must be measurable). This will evolve and change over time
- Start small
- Aim for the achievable
- Make use of existing frameworks, policies and established operating procedures in the school.
Pam KInsman talks about Sustainable Schools at Torquay Primary School. Click on the video link below.
Click to View Video – Torquay primary School's Goals.