Triple Bottom Line Benefits
Sustainable Schools helps create triple bottom line benefits in schools by:
- Creating a more engaging learning environment for students
- Supporting schools in their growth from awareness through to leadership in education for sustainable development.
- Empowering schools to own their sustainability program and focus on student involvement and learning.
- Creating flow-on effects from schools to the community, and
- Involving the whole school community including students, teachers, non-teaching staff and parents.
Triple Bottom Line Outcomes for Sustainable Schools
Educational and Social
- Happier students better able to work with others and supportive of each other
- Numerous opportunities to achieve learning outcomes across many Key Learning Areas
- Sustainable Schools really caters for a diversity of learning styles
- Leadership by students as well as teachers
- Students and staff are empowered to work on meaningful real-world problems and outcomes
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Partnerships with the community
- Improved staff and student morale
- Increased pride and self-esteem
- Publicity for the school
- Reduced resource consumption
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions
- Increased biodiversity
- More natural habitat and garden areas in schoolgrounds
- Influences more environmentally sustainable family behaviour at home.
- Cleaner, more attractive schoolgrounds that students take pride in.
- Cost savings from reduced consumption
- Income from grants and prizes supporting and recognising sustainability projects
- Income from entrepreneurial sustainability projects, for example selling products made from recycled materials and bottled worm castings.
Further information can be found in Case Studies.
The Southmoor school community has developed this wonderful vegetable garden. Water collected from rooftops is used to water plants.
The healthy produce grown in the garden is used as the basis for the school's delicious canteen menu.
Click to View Video – the.