2005 - 2014 Celebrating the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development
Gould League supports the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development
A sustainable school demonstrates a committed whole school approach to sustainability education and improving triple bottom line outcomes. Students change their schools and learn how they can change their community through Sustainable Schools. They make real decisions that are relevant to their lives. Sustainability is one of the richest authentic learning areas and can generate hundreds of exciting areas of learning.
Sustainable Schools is suitable for primary, secondary and specialist schools. Sustainable Schools have a committed whole school approach to sustainability education.
- Are among the most exciting places to learn
- Have outdoor environments that students enjoy
- Are places where students take care of their school, their environment and each other
- Build links between the environment and student welfare
- Participate with their communities to live more sustainably and improve the quality of life for all
This site describes what Sustainable Schools is and how it works. Explore how each sustainability theme integrates twelve key elements for success and visit case studies demonstrating how this has created wonderful outcomes for participating schools.